Thursday, November 24, 2005

Pulled in Both Directions

Title: Das Gefolterte Mädchen (The Tortured Girl) Series - Undecided
Created: December 2002 Tools: Charcoal
Information Experiment in emotional response. Created under the alias Antonia Kluge
URL: http://www.ivoryocean.com/gallery/pages/undecided.html

I wanted to begin my blog with this picture as I think it represents Betsy Thoughtless very well. While reading The History of Miss Betsy Thoughtless I found myself thinking that Betsy was being pulled in all directions because of the societal expectations placed upon her to marry and her desire to "play the field." The whole courtship ritual and how important it was to civilization and women at that time must have been frustrating to those like Betsy who didn't feel as compelled to follow these rituals. Perhaps this can explain why Betsy is making so many unwise decisions. Once Betsy does conform to societal expectations, her life is none too pleasant, but then again, what would one expect being married to someone with the name of Mundane.

I have not finished reading the book yet but I am sure things will eventually work out for Betsy, well, at least I hope they do.

2 Comments:

At 9:17 AM, Blogger Miriam Jones said...

Great picture. And you have reached the crux of it: despite this being a "novel of education," is Haywood so very critical of her heroine, in some respects?

 
At 4:43 AM, Blogger Sarah said...

I love the picture! It really gives a visual for what Betsy went through. I agree with you that she was being pulled in every which way, trying to please everybody.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home