Thursday, November 10, 2005

Through a Secret Window

While searching for an image for this post I found this webring that I think Sarah Egerton would appreciate. This is from their site:

Inside every woman there is a secret window, a window that only she can see through. This window looks deep into her soul, over the landscapes of her imagination. Through writing this window can be opened and the images seen through it shared with others. This webring allows secret windows across the web and around the world to be opened. It allows the voices of women writers to be heard and shared.

I think giving women another space to have a voice is great.

As for the reading of Egerton's work I will post information I found on a website I was reading:

In The Female Advocate Fyge defends womankind. She reinterprets the creation story, rails against the double standard, gives historical examples of virtuous women, questions why men treat women so badly, and explains that women are a source of pleasure, not sorrow, for men.
Fyge's main points concerning the creation story, a couple of which are new, follow:
1. Men speak vile blasphemy when they speak ill of Eve.
2. God created the heavens and the earth then populated the earth with all creatures in pairs, except man. Man being alone was insignificant and scant. Only when God created woman was man made complete.
3. Man was made of dull and senseless Earth while woman was made of a much more noble substance.
4. Adam had the commandment not to eat of the tree of knowledge while Eve received the commandment only second-hand.
5. Weak Eve was tempted by the strong supernatural serpent while Adam was tempted by a mere mortal, a weak woman at that.
6. Since her heal bruised the serpent's head, why do men scorn women?

Sounds reasonable to me.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home