Thursday, November 10, 2005

On With The Games

I found this poem a little difficult to get through and had to reply on internet resources to get me through (thank you Dr. J. for not asking us to read all four parts).

I did find out Pope is often quoted so I am assuming there are people out there who are getting more from his work than I did with this piece. Found this on-line and thought the quote was humorous:

The poem is Pope's final protest at the decay of Britain's cultural inheritance that he believed to be associated with the Hanoverian rule of George I and George II: “Still Dunce the second reigns like Dunce the first” (I, 6).

As for the illustration on this post, this is the text that was included:

A satirical print against Pope from Pope Alexander (1729). The print was also sold separately. It shows Pope as a monkey, because the satirist calls him "A--- P--E," and he sits atop a stack of Pope's works and wears a papal tiara (referring to Pope's Roman Catholicism). The Latin at the top means "Know thyself," and the verse at the bottom is Pope's own satire on Thersites from Essay on Criticism. This was only one of many attacks on Pope after the Dunciad Variorum.

3 Comments:

At 8:58 AM, Blogger Miriam Jones said...

Great picture of Pope. I was going to post it but now I don't need to. Thanks for posting it.

 
At 9:43 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Damn, I didn't find this when I was researching Pope. It would have been great on my website :(

 
At 9:21 PM, Blogger Lucy said...

Emily, please feel free to add this picture to your site if you like, I found it at Wikipedia.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home