Wednesday, September 07, 2005

Finding a Voice

This blog will be used in my English 3621: Women's Writing I class to share my thoughts, questions and general rants. While taking this class I hope to be able to share some of my insights on the assigned readings and look forward to reading your comments.

One of the areas I am looking forward to exploring is the way "women claimed a public voice." It must have been quite a challenge for women to have their voices heard and to be respected for their work. Even when the public warmed to the idea, women had their share of critics:

"America is now wholly given over to a d - - - d mob of scribbling women, and I should have no chance of success while the public taste is occupied with their trash - - and should be ashamed of myself if I did succeed."
Nathanial Hawthorne, 1855

For the women out there looking to find their voice, I have provided a picture of the goddess Saraswati as she is the embodiment of speech and is pre-eminently associated with the best in human culture: poetry, literature, sacred rituals, and rational communication between individuals. May Saraswati help you in your literary journey and I look forward to meeting you all in class.

And as for Mr. Hawthorne, shame on you in deed.

1 Comments:

At 7:13 PM, Blogger Miriam Jones said...

Saraswati, with her four hands, each busy, from the looks of it, making a different form of art, would have given Hawthorne a heart attack.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home